Background Check Integrations: How Complicated Will it be to Connect Your Technology?
The integration of two or more technology platforms might sound complicated on the surface, but it is relatively easy to achieve. On a basic level, integration allows systems with different ways of storing and categorizing information to interact over the same network.
An enhanced form of integration is the API (application programming interface), which goes beyond helping two systems to merely interact. With an API integration, special code enables two separate applications to interface and communicate at every level, providing users with greater functionality and more automation.
In background screening, an API integration allows you to link your background screening workflows with the HR technology you already use. As a result, you can complete background checks more efficiently and keep candidates moving seamlessly through the hiring process. With your background screening provider's help, you can link the technology platforms you use in the hiring process and increase your hiring and screening productivity.
The Benefits of Background Check API Integrations
Though organizations are continuing to find new ways to increase productivity through API integrations, the technology is not new. Ever since Salesforce became one of the first organizations to leverage API integration technology in 2000, companies in just about every sector use it to provide a broader range of interconnected services to users.
In background screening, API integrations allow you to sync screening data with other systems you use for hiring, onboarding, and ongoing talent management. Instead of having to log in separately to several systems, you can go to one platform and gain access to a wider universe of information. For example, with the benefit of a background check API integration, you can use background screening technology in conjunction with your applicant tracking system (ATS) and HR information systems. API integrations also give you expanded access to related screening platforms, such as I-9 compliance and fingerprinting platforms.
API integrations are necessary for busy HR and talent acquisition teams who can’t afford to waste time on systems that don’t talk to each other. According to Reward Gateway research, 89 percent of surveyed HR professionals said having HR tools that integrate into their current workplace technology is a key priority, in large part because of the productivity benefits. When you use background check APIs as part of your hiring process, you can achieve the following benefits:
- Consolidated related hiring workflows for greater efficiency
- Less reliance on manual processes and the double-entry associated with using multiple platforms
- A smooth candidate experience--no more asking candidates for the same information over and over
- Customized background screening dashboard views and reporting to align with your hiring and screening practices
How Complicated is a Background Check API?
Part of the beauty of API integrations is their ease of use. Integration technology does a lot of the data syncing behind the scenes. In fact, using an integrated platform is like driving. There’s a lot of complex technology under the hood, but all you have to do is get in and drive.
Most modern HR technology has some kind of integration capability, and it’s usually not difficult to identify the kinds of integration opportunities offered by a specific provider. A provider with available integrations will often have a page on their website detailing their API integration capabilities. An experienced and tech-savvy background screening provider has technology capable of integrating with just about any cloud-based ATS platform.
A background check API is not overly complicated, and you don’t need to be a systems developer to see and understand its value. To experience the full capability of your API integration, you should understand the different areas where your background screening and HR technology will speak to each other. Understanding where the systems connect also helps you see how you can benefit from the integration. Background screening data can integrate with recruitment and HR systems in the following areas:
- Candidate data: Transfer candidate name, address, and other identifiers seamlessly between systems without having to re-enter those details
- E-disclosure and authorization documents: Send and receive compliance documents to candidates
- Background check requests: Make single or bulk requests in just a few clicks
- Efficient workflows: Easily request missing information from candidates
- Reporting and screening results: See time and date-stamped updates and always know where candidates are in the screening process
- Real-time notifications: Get in-app notifications when results are ready for review or you need to take follow-up action
- Data security: Protect sensitive candidate information and keep background check information confidential
With all the extra capability you get from a background check API integration, you might think it takes a long time to implement. However, the timing to complete most integrations is relatively short, as most systems are built integration-ready. More often than not, it takes days rather than weeks for an integration to go live. Once your platforms are integrated, you’ll only need time to get familiar with your new system capabilities, and you can get started right away.
Improve the Success of Your Background Check API Integration
A smooth background screening integration requires a provider with the appropriate expertise and systems capability. To increase the chances of a successful integration and ongoing tech support to meet your needs, select a provider who offers integration options and a track record of helping organizations improve efficiency in the screening process.
With the right background screening provider, you can achieve a seamless and uncomplicated integration with your desired HRIS or ATS. A great background screening provider also offers the following support:
- Guidance to help you choose among the available background screening products and services. Options include:
- Criminal background checks
- Employment and education verifications
- Identity verification
- Drug screening
- Continuous monitoring
- Regular updates and opportunities to customize your screening technology to meet your evolving needs
- Ideas to help you leverage technology for greater compliance in your background screening program
- Best practices for using integrations to save time and money and improve the candidate experience
Build on Your Success with a Great Screening Partner
A seamless integration with HR and recruitment technology is only one of the many benefits you can expect from a fruitful partnership with your background screening partner. When you work with the right provider, you can also take advantage of a breadth of screening services and guidance to help you boost your productivity, meet applicable compliance obligations, and improve the candidate experience.
The process of selecting a background screening partner is easier when you know what to look for and how to compare different providers. With a great evaluation process, you can see the difference between a provider who treats you as just another transaction and one who acts as a trusted partner. For ideas to help you evaluate different background screening providers, use our handy RFP Scorecard Checklist.